Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Words

Stiff in the softness of my bed,
Words billowing across my consciousness--
Delicate words, short words, elaborate words, sexy words, hard words.
I wish I knew more words!

What would I do
If words bowed at my command?
I'd charm princes,
Study at any university of my choosing,
Solve awkward familial troubles and
Sooth all misunderstanding.

Speak perfect Central American Spanish
And beautiful French
That'd make my own heart
Melt like butter.
Draw exquisitely soft
Chinese calligraphic characters,
Slow stroke, swift curl,

Oh words! Spill your love upon me!
Lend yourselves not to lies and deceit!
Leave voiceless those who would bring harm,
For no voice is no power.
Show me your meaning!
It's impossible to tell you mine.


Mrs. Barrett had a petite face, short gray hair and tiny spectacles which didn't conceal the light in her eyes when she spoke about literature. Her voice was soft and I could literally hear her relish the unique words roll off her tongue as she guided our class through Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales. She once made a badge for Spirit Week that said, "Trounce the Foe!" I loved her for always finding a different way to say something, for ignoring the "cool" kids who would roll their eyes at her, and for laughing with joy when she read something with great words. She inspired me to keep a running list of words that I think are just great, including "floozy" and "ennui". Here's to you, Mrs. Barrett!

Today, one of my favorite orators is Stephen Colbert, whose show The Colbert Report is hilariously witty, sarcastic, ironic and often quite accurate. He even has a segment called "The Word" in which he speaks one side of an argument while opposing sentences appear next to him.

Maya Angelou--poet, author, actress, singer, dancer, teacher--could speak all day and I'd never tire of listening. She has inspired millions to use their words for the betterment of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment